Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dang boys! And a growing kiddo :)

So I think that out of my 5 ducklings I have 3 boys. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but then it means I have 3 girls and 4 boys total which will not be good at all. That would mean I need to get rid of 3 drakes because to have a healthy flock of ducks you need 3:1 girl to boy ratio or at the very least a 2:1. 1:1 or more drakes than hens would be very detrimental to the hens well being. Maybe I can get some runner girls... Just a thought but I doubt Jonathon will go for it ;) I really like having ducks in the front yard and Suzie Cute to. That chicken is the funniest, best pet I have ever had. 

A couple of weeks ago the bobcat came back and cut one of our ducklings up pretty bad. You could see into her hip and all the little ligaments and all. I had read about something called Wonderdust that is used to treat cuts on horses and said it was ok for ducks in small quantities. I do believe that I am going to use it on every cut I get now. That stuff is amazing!!! In the matter of 3 days her cut had dried and started closing! She doesn't even limp at all and her feathers are growing around it like it never even happened. I think I need to have a constant supply of it on hand now.

Suzie is doing great and I think she may be losing a little bit of weight. She is able to get a tiny bit off the ground when she flaps  her wings now. It's only about 3 inches but hey that's still 3 inches :) She has turned in to the biggest character in the last few weeks. She will be standing all alone off to one side of the yard in the morning then will make a little "bock" sound and look at the ducks then run as fast as her chubby little chicken legs will take her towards the ducks then she stops and makes a "bock, bock" noise with her head high like she just did the coolest thing ever by scaring the ducks. And for some strange reason she likes to run around a lot lately. I'm kind of scared for her heart but it's just to cute to watch her and I know she is happy, so I let her do her little Suzie Cute thing and be happy. It is crazy how happy a chicken doing funny things can make you. Maybe everyone in the world needs a pet Suzie, then we would all be a bit happier and nicer and the world a better place :)

Cielo is losing more teeth!!! I had to pull one out yesterday and that's because I just pulled one out about 2-3 weeks ago! She has one more that is really loose and I expect it to be out in the next 2 weeks if she wiggles it if not about 4 weeks before it just falls out on its own. They told us at the dentist office she should be losing the rest of her baby teeth slowly again over the next year or so and then she will have a break from teeth until her 12 year molars come in. That is when we will need to go see about braces that I know she will need because hers slant like mine do. I went to the store the other day looking at father's day cards for Jonathon and looked at a couple for Cielo and almost had a breakdown in the middle of the card isle because my baby is almost 10. Can you believe it? It hasn't been that long since I had to change her pamper and sooth her to sleep and read to her because she didn't know how has it? She is getting so big so fast and it is mind boggling to me. I love that kid and I cant believe that she is going to be in the double numbers already. I am so worried about her growing up. Not because I want her to stay little (which I do) but because the world is such a scary place. I wish I could freeze time for her so that she can enjoy summer just a tiny bit longer, enjoy riding her bike all day long just a bit longer, enjoy snow days and tickle time and lightning bugs and faries and dolls and on and on just a little bit longer. I just want her to enjoy life a bit longer. That kid has been my world for 10 years now, so if it's this bad now how bad is it going to be when she graduates and tells me she is going away for college? I can't imagine what that will be like but I'm pretty sure I really will have a breakdown in the card isle then!

Life is good today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment