Friday, June 10, 2011

What good are toes really?

I found out a couple of days ago that they are really important! If one doesn't work then walking is very hard :-/ I came home just early enough to get a couple of things done around the house before Jonathon and Cielo got home. I was doing a bit of laundry and cleaning out the kitchen of the last of the boxes that need to be unpacked.  I went in to my bathroom to put up some soap and didn't even think twice about pulling out the bottom drawer which was a bad idea. My foot was in the way and of course I was pulling it out super fast and bam! it almost ripped my whole nail off! Ouch, that was bad! I never knew toes could bleed like that really. After I could feel the pulse in my toe and had to wear a band-aid because the dang thing just wouldn't stop bleeding. And it hurt to walk which was really odd. I guess I didn't realize how much your foot depends on your toes when you walk. It was kind of hard to walk for a day but it's better now. Just a bit sore and I hate it when Lily is jumpy because she likes to jump on that toe and try to bite it when we are in bed.

I think my ducklings are kind of sick. The feed they were eating didn't have enough niacin so now I have to give them supplements and a different feed to make them better. I hope they get better because one of them is really bow legged right now. Luckily they aren't showing signs of feathers yet so I think I have time to fix it. Ducks don't process niacin the way other birds do and because they grow at such a fast rate they need extra to keep the right amount in their body so that their legs grow at the same rate as their body. So now I'm supplementing and hoping I don't OD them and that it gets better before their body gets to big.

I think we are about to kill one of the roosters. He is really rough with the hens and even went after Olivia the duck! So now he needs to go to freezer camp so that he won't hurt any of the others. Freezer camp, lol! I like chicken terms :) Still no bobcat though. We need to get him but he hasn't seen food here for a week so I don't know how soon he will come back. hopefully he will come quick so we can get him and then be done with him. We will of course have to check if he is male or female but I'm hoping it is a male. Females have babies and attract males so that would mean we have more sooner rather than later. Dang big cats and their need to kill the livestock in the area!

Summer is here in full force and I don't know what to do about keeping everyone cool. I think I have a plan for Suzie cute but for everyone else I'm a bit stumped. I am putting her waterer a little less than half full in the freezer and then filling it with water at lunch so she has plenty of cool water till I got home. But I can't exactly have 5 waterers in my freezer every day and the chickens kind of make me mad anyway. So I think I just might put ice trays in their water every day. But the ducks are going to have fresh water in the pool every day to keep them from overheating and keep the algae from getting out of hand. I really want to keep them cool during the summer and us to.

So one more time... Night, night duckies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment